Monday, March 14, 2005

Quickly Access the Windows Calculator

There are times that you need to activate the Windows Calculator quickly. Instead of navigating through the Start menu, you can setup a keyboard shortcut to the application.

- On an empty area of the Windows desktop, right-click and select New > Shortcut.
- When the 'Create Shortcut' dialog box appears, type "calc" (without quotes) and press the Next button.
- Press the Finish button to create the new shortcut.
- Right-click the new Calculator icon, and select Properties.
- When the file properties dialog appears, click in the box next to the 'Shortcut key'.
- Type in your desired shortcut. For example, press CTRL-ALT-C.
- Press the "OK" button.

Now all you have to do is press the shortcut key you created, and the Calculator will appear. To delete the keyboard shortcut, open the file properties dialog box click the box next to 'Shortcut key', and press the Delete key.

16 comments:

فرید said...

Hi
I'm farid. your post is really useful for me. thanks a lot.
bye

Anonymous said...

I tried your calculator shortcut, thanks. I've noticed that you have to leave the icon on the desktop for the shortcut to work unless you can tell me otherwise.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Zorex Powershard said...

no need to make any shortcuts if you have the calculator in your "Star" "Programs" "Accesories" folder, you can right click the calculator icon in there and define shortcut.

I'd like to mention that the shortcutting works with every single file you have in your computer.

Want to run Excel? Want to run some specific game? You can do those the same way.

Anonymous said...

When I reach the step to create shortcut key it does not allow me to change the word NONE to CTR + ALT + C. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

Anonymous said...

I had the same problem, then I just tried typing into it once I had the cursor blinking there. All I typed was the C and it pulled in the rest. Maybe it's just my computer. I don't know but hope it helps.

Anonymous said...

That really helped! Thanks so much for your posts!

Se

chennavijaykumar@gmail.com said...

Thanks... It is really useful...

Anonymous said...

great! so useful!! thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thank you! Very handy to know this procedure and simple, concise instructions.

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

You can hide icons on your desktop by going into properties. Under the general tab you should see the option to change attributes to "hidden"

Anonymous said...

Or u can just click start and type "calc" and the program appears and u just click on it. Or u can just make a shortcut on your desktop, just drag and drop calcuator from the start menu, duh... :P AR87ACE

Anonymous said...

Great.......! it's really useful.........Many thanks

Imad ul Islam said...

Great!

Imad ul Islam said...

Great!

Unknown said...

Just press Ctrl+alt+c it automatically takes