Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Best FREE Online Windows Support Sites

In my continuing saga to publish my 'Best Free Online...' lists, here is my latest edition.

Today's topic is: Windows technical support and reference sites. You can use these sites for troubleshooting different types of hardware and software problems, and getting answers to your questions.

Most of the sites below exists for the sole purpose of answering your questions about different problems that you're having with the Windows OS and its applications. The other sites are more generic like Google, but they're still great tools for troubleshooting problems.

Search/Reference Sites
  • Google (Search Engine)
    • I always start with Google when looking for an answer to a specific problem, then I start to narrow my search with other sites depending on the problem I am having. Note: The more specific keywords you use to describe your problem (such as the text from an error message), the better the results.
  • Google Group (Usenet Archive)
    • If the results from the main Google search page can not answer my questions, I then check the Usenet archive for answers. Note: If you can't find the answer to your problem here, post a question, then check back in a few days to see if any one has answered it.
  • FILExt (File Extension Reference)
  • NTFS.com (NTFS Reference Site)
Online Communities and Support Forums
(Check the sites below to see if you can find a specific answer to your problem. If can't find the answer to your problem, then post the questions on the site and check back in a few days to see if any one has answered it.)
Microsoft Support Sites (These are best Microsoft sites for finding answers to your problems and questions.)
I have tried to make this list as complete as possible, so if you feel that I am missing a great site that should be included in this list please feel free to e-mail me (use the 'Send Comments' link on the side to this page to e-mail me). I will include all the updates in this post as soon as I am made aware of them and have verified the site.

No comments: